Puppy Poisoned by Hand Warmer Pack

Buoy, an inquisitive puppy from Anchorage, survived a dangerous encounter
with a discarded hand warmer packet. Pet Poison Helpline

Chemicals In Common Cold-Weather Product Can Be Deadly When Ingested

After a neighbor left her hand warmers on a playhouse outside, a border collie puppy in Alaska shredded the contents and ended up ingesting part of it. According to a November press release, Bouy survived with the help of Pet Poison Helpline and an emergency pet hospital.

“Hand warmers contain iron and ingestion may result in vomiting, GI ulceration, shock, cardiovascular compromise, and liver injury,” says Ahna Brutlag, DVM, MS, DABT, DABVT, a board-certified veterinary toxicologist at Pet Poison Helpline.

The release goes on to say “Buoy’s radiograph showed a large amount of iron product remained throughout his GI tract including the stomach and the small and large intestines. He was placed on IV fluids, received multiple warm-water enemas, administered Milk of Magnesia to minimize absorption of iron from the GI tract and was given gastroprotectants (omeprazole and sucralfate) for a week. Buoy spent the night in the hospital, but because the Smiths caught the ingestion early and immediately took him in for treatment, he recuperated quickly.”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Create a website or blog at WordPress.com

%d bloggers like this: